Mat Janson Blanchet's academic works in progress

Blog

First signal generator attempt

Posted on October 21, 2017

IMCA 470

1st Signal Generator Attempt

This week has been one of progress on the side of the components.

I have probably mentioned in earlier posts that I found other people’s attempts at creating a homemade signal generator (version 1, version 2). I tried to follow the circuit diagram, but my attempt was not successful. My lack of understanding of what I am doing, and also the fact that I wasn’t able to gather the exact parts may have something to do with it. Next week, I’ll try to obtain help and move this further

Flatworks

Lasercutting v1 and v2

Flatworks v1 and v2

On the side of the pickup flatworks, things have moved forward a lot. On top of being unable to get an appointment sooner with the Concordia’s Digital FabLab, their laser cutter was broken.

In order to move forward, I decided to explore alternative spaces. I discovered échoFab, next to ÉTS. On Thursdays, they accept non-members, and I was able to get a few versions of the flatworks cut out. Their lasercutter also cuts up to 1/4″ plywood, whereas Concordia’s Digital FabLab’s only cuts up to 1/8″ plywood. This discovery will be useful to another project.

These versions allowed me to discover a few things:

  • Only the bottom part of the flatwork will need threaded holes.
  • The non-threaded holes need to be a bit wider to allow the 4-40 screw to go through.
  • The eyelets—which I received the same day that I got access to a lasercutter—stick out a bit from the bottom. I will have to have another piece below the bottom piece, to elevate it a bit.

I’ll design a new version of the flatwork and I’ll go next Thursday to have it cut out.

Spooling Bit

Spooling Bit

Wednesday morning, the Metal Shop’s tech had no appointment, so I was able to get his help to weld the spooling bit which I mentioned before. It may be a bit big, but I think it will allow me to also wind coil around real guitar pickups, not simply the custom ones I am making for this project. Maybe I should use a smaller piece of wood though.

The Key Saga

On the admin side, I still have not received my key to the lab, forcing me to depend on the other lab’s members’ presence for me to access my project’s parts. The administrator told me there is an overwhelming demand of keys at this time, so I was promised that I’d receive it next week. Once I get that, I can stop annoying the different lab techs and actually take appointments!

Moving forward with gears

Posted on October 21, 2017

IMCA 400

Prepared gears for 1/8 plywood

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the strength of the motor that will be used for my final project is not sufficient to break strings of bigger gauges than the two smallest ones. So I will need to create gears. This time I powered through Inkscape’s user-unfriendly UI to design the gears I needed.

Concordia’s Digital FabLab’s laser cutter can only cut through 1/8″ plywood, so I started planning to cut twice the amount of gears I need, and then glue the pieces together to strengthen them.

For another project, I went to échoFab and learned that their lasercutter also cuts up to 1/4″ plywood. I’ll be able to save some time by cutting the right amount of gears right away.

C-Clips

Originally, I wasn’t certain how the peg which holds the 2nd gear—driven by the gear on the motor peg—would be be held in place in the wooden structure. It was suggested to me that I use C-Clips and washers.

C-Clip Figure from McMasterCarr

From that point I was able to design a side cut of the concept.

Sketch - Side cut of 2nd gear and C-Clips

Once I cut the gears I’ll be able to drill some holes in my prototype and see if my guesstimates are correct.